Thursday, January 22, 2009

RIP 106.3

As I drove to work on monday morning, nothing had changed it was monday, I was running a little late and the morning dj's on 106.3 were still on. They were playing "time to pretend" by MGMT. Got to work and went about my day. It comes time to leave at 5 so I get in my car and turn it on here comes the radio. To my dismay some sort of rap was on. I was like, ok, I must have accidently changed the station, but I pushed my preset button and there it was, 106.3 has turned into Hit 106(such a clever name). So I plugged my ipod in and listened to that the rest of the way home. 

So this is why Im kinda sad. From what I know about 106.3 it was the first real alternative/college station at the shore. They started in around 1986 and played REM and some of the other pioneers of the alternative genre. I know Matt Pinfield used to be a DJ there. I think one of the originals. Ok, so your asking whats the big deal. The big deal is that this is the only station at the shore area that played decent music. I mean Fairmont was even played once or twice. 

106.3 was the station that introduced me to bands like, Pavement, Nirvana, Green Day, REM, and countless other bands that peaked in the early 90's. Heck, I remember making mix tapes off the radio, and it was the first place I heard Kurt Cobain killed himself.  About the year 2000 106.3 changed its format, but not the drastic change that occurred monday at 12 noon. They still played semi-decent music though, and they still introduced me new bands like The Duke Spirit, the Long Blondes and some others. 

The reason I'm mad is that no one saw this coming. The 106.3 administration decided to just spring the new station on the public. From what I have read the morning dj's were fired monday, along with a few other people at the station. The owners of 106.3 feel the need to appeal to the 18-33 year olds by playing crap like Justin Timberlake, Rihanna, and who ever else is in the top 40 this week, because god knows it will be different next week when the new flavor of the week is out. Im not sure who did the market research here but Im pretty sure they screwed up here. I know people listened to this station and I know these people who will no longer listen to this station because of the format change. I wish them luck and I hope they find their audience.(not really) I don't think they will the audience they want because they all listen to their ipods anyway, and now I have no choice but to do the same. So good luck Hit 106, have a nice life. I kinda feel like I just broke up with a girlfriend who I have been with for many years and we had our fights but now, its actually over. Good luck you dumb bitch.

3 comments:

  1. If you only knew...

    106.3 was an institution. When I first moved to the Shore in 1992 I could hardly believe a station like this existed. It was a commercial, college-station, basically...Matt Pinfield was genius and the music was sublime. The last few incarnations have paled in comparison...

    Nice job, AA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough, something very similar happened out here in SoCal this month. Our only Indie station, Indie103.1 suddenly announced they were leaving the airwaves. Now when I mistakenly press that button on my preset I hear spanish music.
    I never saw it coming and it really sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree with you more. Its terrible that this station is gone. Just what the world needs, another "hit" music station. Summers at the shore will be a bit less without 106.3/106.5.

    www.ultimatesportsinsider.com

    ReplyDelete