Friday, January 16, 2009

I'll start with the new year best of list, how's that?

We should start at the top. Happy New Year, although its already 16 days into the new year its never to late to say that, right? 

I'll start with my best of  lists for 2008:

ok, the top records/cds of the year:(in no specific order)


Girl Talk: Feed the Animals. i've really been into the mash up type stuff recently, ie- Jaydiohead etc.
TV on the Radio: Dear Science-. I have to say probably #1 I cant stop listening to this.
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Dig!!! Lazurus Dig!!!. I don't really think Nick Cave can to anything wrong(sidenote: I had the privilege to see him in Philly in '08 and he puts on one hell of a show)
Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend. Isn't it some law in the music industry that says this cd has to be in the top 10?
REM: Accelerate. Honestly REM will always be on the top of my lists. they make great music and they do it their way. we should all be so lucky.
Okkervil River: The Stand Ins. There is something about this band I love. It takes me a listen or two to really love it but, I do.
Spiritualized: Songs in A&E.  I am new to Spiritualized and everything i have heard i like. "Soul on Fire" is my song of the year
Of Montreal: Skeletel Lamping. I still enjoy OM even if they did sell a song to Outback Steakhouse. Its fun indie-electro pop.
She and Him: Volume One. Zooey Deschanel, need I say more?
MGMT: Oracular Spectactular. I can't listen to "Time to Pretend" and "Kids" enough in one day.
Stephen Malkmus: Real Emotional Trash. Almost forgot about SM. Still good even after all these years.
The Hold Steady: Stay Positive. Its like a bar band from the midwest went to brooklyn and got famous. Oh. they write good songs too. 
FAIRMONT: TRANSCENDENCE. Yes. I know Im in this band... it's a shameless plug, but, Its also our best record yet. So please go buy it so we can make another one in 2009.

Other music I enjoyed this year:

Jamie Lidell
The Black Keys
Santogold
Boston Spaceships
Ben Folds

Bands that I played and thoroughly enjoyed.

The Narrative
The Minus Scale (their cd is terrific)
The Gay Blades
The Stationary Set
The Rhodes
Hungry Tigers
Tim McCoy and the Papercuts
and last but certainly not least Keith Caputo (thanks for the great tour)

I guess thats it for now. Im thinking this will be a music themed blog so let me know what you think. I'll keep you updated on what Im listening too and what Fairmont and Terror Eyes is doing 

No comments:

Post a Comment